The Strafford Rural Fire Department was organized in 1957. After 30 years as a dues paying volunteer department, voters of the community approved the rural department becoming a protection district in 1987. The change eliminated annual dues as all property owners would pay for the protection through their personal property and real estate taxes.
In august 1989 the district began responding to medical and rescue calls. Another big change came for the department in 2008 as the department received a federal grant to pay salaries to become a combination career/volunteer department. The grant approval was followed by a vote of the district residents to approve a tax increase of .50 per 1,000. Of assessed valuation which would be designated to personnel expenses. In the spring of 2009 16 firefighters were hired to fill three shifts of 5 firefighters and a daytime officer. The department currently operates with a Fire Chief with daytime hours and 15 career/paid firefighters and a team of volunteers.
The district is governed by an elected 5 member board of directors.